[lug] Mounting Win partitions / Renaming localhost?

Jeff sketch at smail.info
Sat Sep 28 12:52:13 MDT 2002

Mr Viggy wrote:
> One way I know of is to use fdisk.  However, you want to be really
> careful with this, as it can change your partition settings, which would
> screw up your disk.
>
> Do 'fdisk /dev/hda'.  Then, at the prompt, hit 'p' and enter.  This will
> print out the partition table for /dev/hdb, including how each partition
> is formatted.  Now, hit 'q' to quit without saving.

Another way to get the partitions and how they're formatted without
actually going into the fdisk program is to just type:
fdisk -l
This will list the partitions and their file system type for all your
hard drives and, if you just want a specific hard drive:
fdisk -l /dev/hda
   <or>
fdisk -l /dev/hdb
   etc...

This allows you to view your partition table without actually going into
the fdisk program and potentially messing up your disk.

-Jeff