[lug] The tide's turning perhaps... :-)

Ed Hill ed at eh3.com
Sun Sep 29 14:45:51 MDT 2002

On Sun, 2002-09-29 at 14:36, chris wrote:
> On Sun, Sep 29, 2002 at 02:05:36PM -0600, svq wrote:
> > "D. Stimits" wrote:
> >
> > > Many places won't honor their warranty if the o/s is not installed from
>     ^^^^
> (not all)
>
> > > their disks. Of course the owner could probably re-install windows from
> > > the store disks if returning it. It is funny that many of these
> > > retailers will not even honor the warranty if another version of windows
> > > is installed...even the same type of windows installed from a CD not of
> > > their own can remove all service aid in the warranty.
> > >
> > > D. Stimits, stimits AT attbi.com
> > >

> > So if I were to buy a new laptop, it would be useless to buy the extended
> > warrenty if I were planning to install Linux as soon as I got it?
>
> i've never had a warranty like this.  i've never bought a computer in
> colorado though.  just ask before you buy, is my advice.  i know that
> ibm for example will certainly fix a bad HD no matter what is on it, in
> one of their laptops.  (happened to a friend of mine).

+1, yes!

Just a little over a year ago, IBM was more than happy to fix the floppy
drive on one of my older ThinkPads.  I told them Linux was the only OS
on the system and their response was something to the effect: "thats
fine, sir, and if you'd like us to otherwise leave the machine alone
(not upgrade the BIOS, etc. as we normally do on all returns), please
tape a note to that effect on the unit when its returned".

IBM service has treated me very nicely over the past few years.  They've
been speedy, courteous, paid for the shipping both ways, and given me no
trouble when informed that I was running Linux.

Other companies could learn a lot from IBM service (*cough* Dell
*cough*).

Ed

--
Edward H. Hill III, PhD
Post-Doctoral Researcher   |  Email:  ed at eh3.com,  ehill at mines.edu
Division of ESE            |  URLs:   http://www.eh3.com
Colorado School of Mines   |    http://cesep.mines.edu/people/edhill.php
Golden, CO  80401          |  Phone:  303-273-3483    Fax: 303-273-3311