[lug] mount NTFS without a kernel rebuild?

Jarosko, Bill Bill_Jarosko at adc.com
Tue Oct 1 10:48:29 MDT 2002

You mean insmod.

-----Original Message-----
From: David Morris [mailto:lists at morris-clan.net]
Sent: Tuesday, October 01, 2002 10:43 AM
To: Boulder Linux User's Group
Subject: Re: [lug] mount NTFS without a kernel rebuild?

On Tue, Oct 01, 2002 at 09:26:09AM -0600, carl.wagner at level3.com wrote:
> Is there a way to get the kernel module for NTFS without having to
> rebuild the whole kernel?  I want to grab some files from my nt partition.

If you are using a pre-built kernel, you can probably just
probe the module:

    modprobe ntfs

Otherwise, you probably built the kernel yourself and, if
you still have that directory around you built in, you can
follow the instructions from another post to get just the
module built...you might search the net (perhaps visit
kernel.org) for details of incrementally building new
modules, as it is easy once you know how to do it (never
needed to).

BTW, I also suggest you use xconfig, not menuconfig.

--David