[lug] new to Linux

David Morris david at morris-clan.net
Tue Oct 1 10:37:32 MDT 2002

I agree with Michael that your fix is to generate a valid
XF86Config file, and that should solve all of your problems.

Let me make brief pitch, though, for a Distro not mentioned
by the others:  Debian.  Asside from being the only
completely free Linux distro, it offers the best package
management of all Linux/Unix distributions through a tool
called apt-get.  The configuration defaults are also far
more usable than any other Linux distro available.

For those of you that are about to complain that Debian is
more difficult to install, I ask how often you have tried
it?  I have consistently had more troubles installing and
setting up RedHat/Suse/Mandrake system than I ever have had
with Debian.

--David

P.S. Yes, you would still have to configure X on
Debian...that is not a matter of good default configuration,
but rather that the installer program is on psychic and
cannot know your hardware.