[lug] CYA

rm at fabula.de rm at fabula.de
Tue Oct 1 13:13:16 MDT 2002

On Tue, Oct 01, 2002 at 06:43:32PM +0000, j davis wrote:

> Hello,
>  I admin a firewall for a company....things are not going so well
> between them and me. I dont want them to be able to lock me out

As a matter of fact, since they own the box, they have all rights to
do so, and even attempting to circumivent this might get you into serious
trouble (esp. after anouncing it in the bulic -- jd, this post will
stay arround for probably the rest of you career in archives like
Google! Do you really think _anybody_ hires an admin that's openly thinking
about locking his customer out of their hardware?).

> one
> day and keep using my personal code for ther use.

Are you shure it's _your_ code? Unless you have an absolutly watertight
contract that states that all code and configuration data produced during
the work involved belongs to you, you better don't touch that stuff. Other-
wise you destroy _their_ property (and they can and probably will sue you).

> So, they are not that
> linux savy. If i remove my iptable scrip i could cripple the whole
> network...but this requires root...wich i have for now. Could i remove
> the exe "passwd" without breaking anything...to keep asshole from changing
> root. I dont really want to trojan the box....i just dont want the company
> using
> my firwall scrips and personall admin scrips after i am gone.

That's something you should have thought of before starting to work -- not
now. And, just as a good advice: you better do super good work for them
from now on, otherwise, in case of a legal fight, they might accuse you of
intentional bad work and use your posting here as evidence.

  Ralf Mattes