[lug] CYA

rm at fabula.de rm at fabula.de
Tue Oct 1 13:47:18 MDT 2002

On Tue, Oct 01, 2002 at 07:16:50PM +0000, j davis wrote:
> we have no contract. This was something i did at night on my own time.
> I took one of my personal firewall scips and modified for work,
> on my own time at my house. I have never been paid for this scrip
> and do not want this company using any of my work that i did for free.

Good. Being an outsider without knowlege of the situation i'd suggest
that you have a talk with the responsible people in the company and
tell them clearly that you consider the firewall config you did as
your property and that you don't intent to let them use it in case
your cooperation ends. Give them a choice to find another solution
or at least a way out of this situation.

> If there are any shisty companys out ther reading this post....you
> will do best not to hire me. ALSO...my life is not about a job..
> i thank you for your concern though. Using Linux is about using
> Linux for fun.I refuse to let corprate assholes be a killjoy.

That's why i bothered to answer your post. I have seen more than one
Linux enthusiast been taken advantage of (including me, if i might
add :-) The one lesson i learned from it: even so it might be fun,
it's also work, it eats _your_ time and _they_ probably would never
think of doing the same in _their_ bussiness. Even so everything seems
easy-going and there seems to be no need for paperwork when you start
a project -- things might change, the responsible person might get
fired or the company sold and that it's really hard to get your part
of the deal.

> I guess im being childish. I just hate it when my good nature
> has me be taken advantge of....thats all.

Don't let that happen

  Ralf