[lug] CYA

Terry Branaman t-branaman at attbi.com
Tue Oct 1 21:57:58 MDT 2002

On Tue, 2002-10-01 at 13:16, j davis wrote:
> we have no contract. This was something i did at night on my own time.
> I took one of my personal firewall scips and modified for work,
> on my own time at my house. I have never been paid for this scrip
> and do not want this company using any of my work that i did for free.

They might still have grounds to claim your scripts as their property,
at least the copies on their machines. Some companies that I have worked
for had language in the employment agreements that allow them to claim
any software developed by employees, even if it was done on the
employee's time and equipment (sometimes with provisions that this only
applied if the development was related to the work being done or
information learned as a result of employment).

If they really aren't Linux savvy, then they will probably only use the
system until they can get another solution that they understand in
place. That's what happened at the last place that I worked. I looked at
those scripts as a learning experience for me rather than as a "freebie"
for them.