[lug] mount NTFS without a kernel rebuild?

David Morris lists at morris-clan.net
Wed Oct 2 09:35:14 MDT 2002

A note as you are using the 2.4 kernel, you should be using
the VERY latest version (2.4.19 ATM).  All versions of the
2.4 kernel before 2.4.18 (2.4.16 perhaps, I don't recall
exactly) had at least some problem.  It is only the most
recent 2/3 versions that have been considered worth of
general use.

Asside from that, yes, it looks like you need an entire new
kernel.  The only time building just the modules works is
when you have already compiled the kernel yourself, and just
want to add a new module to *your* kernel.

It looks like you have the symatics of the bulid correct,
though as I use Debian I use a wonderful utility 'make-kpkg'
that does it all for me so I don't have to worry about
messing up. (sorry, couldn't resist a Debian dig ;)

When you are building your own kernel, the first few times
(until you get familiar with the options) it is best to go
through every single option, read the help for anything you
don't understand, and set the option appropriately.  In
general the defaults (if you get the kernel from kernel.org
which I *highly* recommend over a pre-packaged kernel) are
very sane, you will simply need to remove a few modules you
do not need, add some you do need, and perhaps compile some
modules directly into the kernel you know you will always
need.

This process usually takes about an hour the first time you
go through, a half hour the second, and not long there after
you usually know the options you need to change well enough
that you can go directly there (especially if you saved your
old .config file from the root of the source tree!).

Good luck!

--David