[lug] usb cdburner?

Nate Duehr nate at natetech.com
Wed Oct 2 22:51:32 MDT 2002

> I'd like to use a usb cdburner (Que!Drive that is popular with macs). I've
> got usb setup fine along with scsi /ide emulation (usb zip works fine).
> usbview sees that drive fine, but I can't connect to it through scsi. I
> have the following modules loaded:
>
> sr_mod sd_mod isofs ide-scsi usb-ohci usbcore sg scsi_mod
>
> If I try mount -t isa9660 /dev/scdX /mnt/burn
>
> or with /dev/sdaX, I just get /dev/scdX unknown device. Has anyone had any
> luck with usb cdburners? Any ideas what I should try?

I have a Sony Spressa USB CD burner (older one at 4X) that just came up and
"played" with RedHat after version 7.1 -- I've even installed from it, which
I found quite impressive.  :-)  I have also burned CD's from it,
successfully under RedHat 7.x.

I would have to go dig it out if you want kernel module output from the
machine, but just in case the general "yes, some work" message is helpful,
here it is.  (GRIN)

It also was originally purchased for the Mac, and Sony's Mac OS9 drivers are
horrid for it... they lock the machine and do all sorts of strange things...
so one day on a whim I thought... hmm... wonder if I can load Linux onto a
laptop without a CD drive with this thing.  I *did* have to boot from floppy
first on that laptop, but the floppy image found the CD and did the rest
from there.

Nate, nate at natetech.com