[lug] resolver

Hugh Brown hugh at math.byu.edu
Fri Oct 4 09:01:50 MDT 2002

I have a domain that I have parked with dotster (any queries to
*.mydomain.dom return the ip address for fwd.dotster.com).

I recently tried to find a website at subdomain.someotherdomain.dom.

When I do it in a browser, I get "Future site of a dotster registered
domain."  I know the admin for someotherdomain.dom and know that he
isn't doing anything via dotster.

I fired up ethereal and discovered that my machine queries the dns
server for subdomain.someotherdomain.dom and gets a "Host not found"  My
machine then queries dns for subdomain.someotherdomain.dom.mydomain.dom
and gets a reply (because everything that ends in mydomain.dom will).

my /etc/resolv.conf has the following

nameserver xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx
nameserver xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx
search mydomain.dom someotherdomain.dom

I thought that the resolver wouldn't try the search path if the query
had a dot in the name (e.g. somehost.somwhere) because it would appear
to be a fully qualified host name.  How can I turn this auto appending
of mydomain.dom to everything off?

Hugh