[lug] stock kernels

D. Stimits stimits at attbi.com
Fri Oct 4 13:34:18 MDT 2002

John Hernandez wrote:

> David, can you explain why?  I'm curious because I used to build my own
> from kernel.org source, but once the novelty of keeping up with the
> latest wore off, I find the RH kernel binaries to be very adequate.
>
> What's the benefit of using a "stock" Linus kernel?

It wasn't my original question, but I can tell you some of the recent
advances in networking are useful, e.g., RH does not have MAC address
firewalling, but somewhere in the 2.4.20-pre area it added this; in
addition, several QoS advances have been added. The 2.5.x has begun
adding XFS filesystem on Linus kernels, so even that is now attracting
me (first time ever) to 2.5.x. There are also several bug fixes going
from 2.4.18 to 2.4.19, although I suspect many of them are in the RH
version of 2.4.18. IMHO, the 2.4.19 kernel is more stable than 2.4.18,
and 2.4.18 is much more stable than 2.4.17 and earlier.

D. Stimits, stimits AT attbi.com