[lug] Re: PostgreSQL question.

Jeffrey Holton holtonjb at yahoo.com
Sat Oct 5 17:01:20 MDT 2002

Sean,

I'm carboning the list, thought I'm not on it.  I grabbed your name in
a pinch without registering on the list.  Wasn't even sure if your
address would still work.  I actually figured it out right after I
wrote to you.

My solution, first of all, was NOT to log in as root.

Secondly, I still had problems with pg_shadow on template1, which is a
database I don't even remember creating.  (This seems to be a default
or sample database available only to user postgres.)

Ultimately, instead of calling pg_dumpall, I just called pg_dump on
each database I wanted to copy.

I then performed the final step of placing the backups on the new
system, by calling

psql -d [database_name] -f [text file I created]

for each of the databases I want to copy.

Q.E.D.

...and now, to find out why libpq doesn't seem to be installed by
default in Mandrake 9.0...but that's a story for another thread of
course...

--Jeff

=====