[lug] group perm nightmare

Michael D. Hirsch mhirsch at nubridges.com
Mon Oct 7 07:33:52 MDT 2002

I don't have much to add to Chris's comments, other than to say that I
find the RedHat gimmick great.  I first learned about it when on a
Solaris system doing a group project (withouth CVS) and we needed
exactly that setup.  It makes it easy for groups to share files.  You
do need the 002 umask, and redhat sets that by default.  I've also used
it pretty much every project I've been on somewhere.  I recently used
it to give someone access to /var/www/html on a coporate website with
giving them root permissions.

As for the sys V init stuff, That appears to be a matter of religion
akin to vi vs emacs.  I love the ability to start/stop services that
sysv init gives, and the ability to permanently add services to the
startup from a simple command line without editing any files.  That
lets me, say, have the postinstall script of an rpm make the service
start at boot, with a one line command.

--Michael