[lug] new distro

Michael D. Hirsch mhirsch at nubridges.com
Mon Oct 7 07:49:14 MDT 2002

On Sunday 06 October 2002 02:55 pm, j davis wrote:
> Hello,
>   So after using Redhat8 i want to go back to 7.3....but if 8 is
> the future of redhat i want to get out now. Could someone suggest a
> Linux that is stright regular linux That has a nice update and
> package manager. How is suse and debian. Do you suse and debian users
> have a hard time getting stuff to work that works out of the box in
> rh? I dont mind re-lerning
> some stuff...but my next distro, i would like to think i can use it 5
> or 10 years before the ultimate power corrupts it. Maybe rh8 was just
> what United Linux
> needed.....Where do recovering RedHat users go next?

I'd say Mandrake.  Mandrake is quite Redhat-like, but in a good way.  I
just upgraded to 9.0 and I don't notice any grand changes a la RH 8.0.
It's nice desktop, has gnome and kde, better admin tools, imho, than
RH.

And the software update tools are very nice.  There is a nice gui rpm
admin tool that does updates, too, or you can use the command line
version.  Or, for the adventurous, point to and apt-get server and use
the new apt-get for rpm.  The Debian people are right--apt-get rocks.

--Michael