[lug] Using Debian

David Morris lists at morris-clan.net
Mon Oct 7 11:41:41 MDT 2002

There is no doubt you will find more packages in RPM format
than in Debian format, but I, at least, rarely find anything
I actually want to use that is not already in the Debian
archives....you might simply try going to the Debian web
site and doing a search of the packages for any unusual
software you use, see if it is there and what version.

There are major version upgrades sometimes, other times they
back-port patches for security.  It depends on how the new
major version works with older versions.  It is common for
mostly (but not cmpletely) compatible major versions to both
be in the distribution (python1.5 and python2.1 packages for
example) Most of the time, upgrades to new major versions
are invisible to the user.  Stable/Unstable is exactly what
it says:  If the package is not stable (in and of itself, or
with the distribution) it is unstable.

If you have a fast internet connection (DSL is fine usually)
you can install directly fron the net from either a mirror
or the primary source...I have installed from the main
archive on occation, and update from the main archive on
many systems.

I have never had any need for the unstable distribution
(when I needed it, woody was close enough to stable I used
it), so I cannot help you on selecting stable/unstable
packages.

--David