[lug] Ethernet sound card - digital solution - Solution!

Peter Hutnick peter-lists at hutnick.com
Mon Oct 7 14:05:16 MDT 2002

Well, I hate to beat a dead horse, but I have most of a solution to my
desire to deliver high-quality digital audio to my stereo.

I bought a receiver* with USB input (unfortunately the input is on the
front).  For grins I plugged my notebook running Linux into it (and ran
kudzu) and played an MP3.  Wuddyaknow?  Sound.  Good sound.

So, I don't get the cable length I'd like, but it'll do!

-Peter

*an RX-9010VBK (http://www.jvc.com/product.jsp?modelId=MODL026195), which,
incidentally is a geek's wet dream.  USB input that works with Linux.  RF
remote with IR /output/ from a dongle plugged into the receiver itself.
The upshot being I can control all of my IR devices from the next room
with the RF remote!