[lug] RH 8.0 mirrors

Sean Reifschneider jafo at tummy.com
Mon Oct 7 22:55:44 MDT 2002

On Mon, Oct 07, 2002 at 08:02:41PM -0600, Alan Robertson wrote:
>Lots of folks on my mailing lists had troubles with plain vanilla things
>and system calls that were just broken. Libraries that didn't work.

How many of those people were sorely out of date with respect to
applying errata?  There have been shipped libraries and compilers that
had issues which were fixed by errata in a quick and reasonable (IMHO)
manner.  I don't think it's very fair to complain about any software
when there's errata available that fixes the problems.

On the other hand, it took a *VERY* long time for the questions about
being able to build the Python RPMs stopped.  There was a bug in the
headers which was addressed shortly after release, but for 2 years we
were getting people complaining about the Python build being broken, on
a not infrequent basis...

"If you haven't applied the errata, the inability to build Python is the
least of your worries if your machine is connected to the Internet."
;-/

IIRC, we were building a bunch of packages with the errata compiler for
the KRUD release the month following the Red Hat releasee, and we really
had no issues.

I do vividly remember people on slashdot and the LUGs complaining about
that Red Hat release and Kevin and I compiling all the extra packages
for KRUD and shrugging because we couldn't relate to the problems...

Sean
--
 "Who's the guy in the suit?"  "FBI."  "He looks a little too much like a
 lounge lizard for FBI."  "He's working under-cover."  -- Sean & Evelyn 2000