[lug] Cannot connect to the Internet with a web browser when trying to use an URL.

BOF bof at pcisys.net
Tue Oct 8 10:37:14 MDT 2002

I am running RH 8.0 (Pyscho) and cannot connect to the Internet with a
web browser when trying to use an URL.

When using Netscape, the error message is (for example when trying to
reach Red Hat)

    www.redhat.com could not be found

When using Konquerer, the message is

    hostname lookup failure

I can load the Redhat site if I give its IP address (66.187.232.56) in
either browser. I can also ping varous sites using either the URL or the
IP address.

My /etc/resolv.conf file is

    search pcisys.net
    nameserver 216.229.32.169

Which is the same file that works with my RH 7.3 system.

It seems that there is something not working with the nameserver lookup
but I can not figure it out.

Any suggestions?

BOF