[lug] j2sdk problems

Brad Doctor bdoctor at ps-ax.com
Thu Oct 10 13:23:09 MDT 2002

For a tomcat rc script, this may work:

CATALINA_HOME="<path to install>"
JAVA_HOME="<path to install>"
export JAVA_HOME
export CATALINA_OPTS

case $1 in

        start)
         echo "Starting Tomcat from ${CATALINA_HOME}"
            $CATALINA_HOME/bin/catalina.sh start
          if [ $? != 0 ]; then
              echo ""
              echo "There was a problem starting Tomcat"
            else
              echo ""
              echo "Sucessfully started Tomcat"
          fi
         ;;

As a general rule, you should always have JAVA_HOME set any time you are
working with java, and if you are doing anything with external classes,
your CLASSPATH var needs to be set.  For example:

$JAVA_HOME/bin/java -classpath $CLASSPATH <path to function within external jar>

-brad

> Does anybody have any experience w/ troubleshooting java installation
> problems?
>
> I'm trying to install & run tomcat4 and I keep getting this error.
>
> There was an error trying to initialize the HPI library.
> Please check your installation, HotSpot does not work correctly
> when installed in the JDK 1.2 Linux Production Release, or
> with any JDK 1.1.x release.
> Could not create the Java virtual machine.
>
> Has anyone successfully dealt with this problem? Or could perhaps point
> me in a new direction? (I've been through almost every document and
> forum at java.sun.com)
>
> Thanks,
> Shannon Johnston

Brad Doctor, CISSP