[lug] OT: html, css2...mixing absolute and relative coordinates

D. Stimits stimits at attbi.com
Fri Oct 11 03:45:37 MDT 2002

I have a series of transparent png images, some are masks, others are
used as color layers. By changing the stacking order, I can control what
the final image is, and it runs on html without anything special.
Problem is, I need to use absolute coords for the x position, to keep
them from spreading out, and on y, I want relative coordinates. I don't
see a way to specify (I'm using inline css2) a mix where x is absolute
and y is relative (for that matter, text flow seems broken around it as
well, floating does not seem to work right when I have any absolute
involved). Can anyone tell me if there is a way to stack multiple
transparent png's on top of each other, allowing text to flow around the
IMG's like floating...without tying down the y-coordinate? I actually
want the distance from left margin forced to one value, but y needs to
float. I asked some css people, nobody has answered, so it seems to not
be an easy thing.

D. Stimits, stimits AT attbi.com