[lug] raid

D. Stimits stimits at attbi.com
Fri Oct 11 15:33:39 MDT 2002

Peter Hutnick wrote:
> D. Stimits said:
>

>>There is no technical reason to stop you, it'll work fine, but having
>>slightly different specs can result in far less optimum throughput than
>>with matched disks.
>

> This is 100% correct.
>

>>But for raid 5, those in series can be matched, and
>>the one doing checksum would be nice as the 15krpm disk (till you lose a
>> drive).
>

> This is nonsense.  RAID 5 does not use an independent "checksum" (parity)
> disk.  It alternates, like:

Yes, I had been thinking of placing a pair of raid 0's in parallel,
using raid 1. But this is raid 1,0 (10), not raid 5, I spoke too soon,
since the two sets in raid 1 require matching sizes. Looks like he has
the ability to build the raid, but it will not be at its most efficient.

D. Stimits, stimits AT attbi.com