[lug] October 10, 2002 - Boulder Linux User Group Meeting

Chris Riddoch socket at peakpeak.com
Sun Oct 13 23:44:53 MDT 2002

Tom Tromey <tromey at redhat.com> writes:

> Chris> Presentation:  Linux in Libraries
> Chris> Main Speaker:  Eric Sisler <esisler at westminster.lib.co.us>
>
> Unfortunately I had other plans and had to miss this talk.  I was
> really sorry to, since the idea sounds quite interesting to me.
>
> I assume the subject of converting Boulder's libraries to Linux came
> up?  Is this a feasible project?

Westminster's, in any event. The main thing keeping it from being
feasible is how much of the software that's used on client machines
requires Windows. Apparently some of the rather specialized database
clients are Windows-only.

> I've also wondered whether we could get the city to convert to Linux
> as well.  I've wondered that ever since finding Flash animations on
> the, IMNSHO quite ugly, city web pages.

Perhaps. I personally am not terribly strong on advocacy.  I *do*
think Linux should have a place in the city government generally, but
I don't know enough of the relevant people in the city government to
know where to make such a suggestion.

> Any thoughts on this?  Any ideas on where one might begin?
> Anyone else interested in looking into it?

Good questions. I'm interested, but am in a similar position.  I
certainly wouldn't object to a proposal for BLUG (us) to take it upon
ourselves as a group to talk to the city about how to improve on their
existing systems using Linux.

(Did I phrase that hesitantly enough?  I follow politics, but avoid
playing it.)

--
Chris Riddoch       | epistemological
socket at peakpeak.com | humility