[lug] [OT] Web Server Question

D. Stimits stimits at attbi.com
Wed Oct 16 16:54:50 MDT 2002

Dhruva B. Reddy wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I have a question about how web servers work and really don't know where
> to begin looking for the answer.
>
> We are developing an application on Apache in Python using Albatross.
> Our home page is generated dynamically.
>
> My question:  From the viewpoint of a web agent (whether it is a
> browser, spider, etc.), is there any difference between static content
> and dymanically generated content?
>
> My understanding is that if you hit, say http://www.foo.com/index.html,
> you will get a file called 'index.html', which will look the same regardless
> of whether the file is static or dynamically generated.
>
> Any answers or direction would be greatly appreciated.
>
> -d

The server does add a header in addition to the web page itself. The
amount and content of the header will depend on what the browser sent,
such as what content type is accepted, and what content type is to be
sent, valid auth methods, so on. Cookie information would be an example
of this header that commonly occurs prior to the actual web page.

D. Stimits, stimits AT attbi.com