[lug] Primer on Linux Distros

Mr Viggy LittleViggy at alum.manhattan.edu
Fri Oct 18 08:12:30 MDT 2002

I'll bite:

Slackware:  Why?  Because it's almost completely manual.  Yes, I'm a
glutton for punishment!  Slackware is actually a nice distribution.  The
setup program is very primitive; and it doesn't do too much for you.
You can choose to install everything; select from certain packages
(which will install groups of stuff); or you can select from individual
files.  What I really like is that there are not a lot of "automagic"
setup tools, you have to create, or modify, the various config files
manually.  This gives the end user a very good feel for how the OS
operates.  This is *not* a distribution for the beginer!  I run it on my
laptop mostly for leisure, and surfing the net.

Viggy