[lug] Primer on Linux Distros

ljp ljp at llornkcor.com
Fri Oct 18 08:41:00 MDT 2002

On Friday 18 October 2002 08:12 am, you wrote:
> > Gentoo--very interesting distro in which you compile everything from
> > scratch. This takes a long time to install (!) but in the end has the
> > advantage that you know the software is completely optimized for your
> > system.

Not necessarly true, they have a minimal binary installs to get you running.
I like gentoo. It's rather easy to admin, once you get to know their
commands, and init file layout.
If you want xmms installed, 'emerge xmms' - you download/compile not only
xmms, but dependencies as well. No more searching the internet for every
little package you need. 'rc-update...' to add services at whatever
runlevels. If you are like me and compile most everything anyway.. Gentoo is
very nice. But to install.. you do need to know a bit about linux, or at
least, follow their install docs to the tee...

and if you have a few linux machines around, you can install distcc and get
distributed compiling to help save some time.

ljp

--
My cat's a debugger..

Potter "ljp", Lorn
core member
Project OPIE- the Open Palmtop Integrated Environment
http://opie.handhelds.org | http://www.opie.info (german) |
http://www.opie.us
IRC: irc.freenode.net #opie #opie.de

llornkcor at handhelds.org