[lug] Suggestions for hardware supported linux systems

D. Stimits stimits at attbi.com
Fri Oct 18 13:45:37 MDT 2002

Orion Poplawski wrote:
> Everyone -
>
>    I'm starting a new gig and am faced with supporting a moderately large
> number of linux desktops.  I've already encountered a number of systems that
> are locking up completely for unknown reasons.  Currently, the hardware in
> use is whatever has been lying around or an assembled system from some
> mail-order shop.  This makes my job that much harder trying to track down
> problems.
>    I'd like to move to a supplier who would be able to service the machines
> if these problems came up.  Any suggestions?

The vm issues and many other issues are almost resolved in 2.4.18, which
is fairly stable. The 2.4.19 kernel IMHO is superior in stability over
earlier kernels. So far as software goes, get 2.4.19+, unless you have a
reason not to. In other areas, make sure they are on good UPS that
provide power during brownout, not just during lost power. Make sure
temperature isn't too hot, and ventilation is good. Add the kdb kernel
debugger if you don't have it already (see oss.sgi.com if your source
doesn't have this already, but do not enable spinlock debugging on SMP),
and have a serial console set up with a laptop that you can plug in and
get a backtrace of any lockups.

D. Stimits, stimits AT attbi.com