[lug] Re: Wi-Fi Firewall

rise rise at knavery.net
Sat Oct 19 01:08:01 MDT 2002

On Wed, 16 Oct 2002, Jason W.Strnad wrote:

> http://www.netgate.com
>
> 200mw output, connection for an external antenna, prism based (with
> support for the hostap driver: http://hostap.epitest.fi/)  This might
> be 'just the ticket' for you.  Its almost exactly what I was looking
> for, might have to buy one anyway.

I've got one (and Archer has several), I can bring it to the next
Hacking Society if you want to give it a whirl.  Quite happy so far -
these are the Senao/EnGenius and I know people running them in HostAP
mode, but I've only used it as a ludicrously overpowered client
adapter.  With a 5.5 dBi the access point seems to be the limitation
on range.  NetGate will have pigtails quite soon or I can put you in
touch with someone local who's doing the initial order for them from a
Boulder-area supplier.

While I'm at it I might as well plug BURN (Boulder Urban Radio
Networking), the Boulder/Front Range wireless list Jeremy and I run:

or send mail to burn-request at vieorhythms.com with a subject of
"subscribe".  Currently it's pretty low traffic but a decent signal to
noise ratio when it's active.  I'll be announcing a semi-public AP[*]
in the next week or two and some of the other freenet enthusiasts may
come back out of the woodwork.

[*] South Boulder near Sole, IPSEC or CIPE access only, get me to sign
    your GPG key at HS or BLUG and you can sign and upload your own
    VPN key.  Largely redundant except that I'm likely to start doing
    STRIP access as well which should give it a decent footprint,
    hopefully half a mile or better.

Jonathan Conway						      rise at knavery.net
Eff the ineffable, scru the inscrutable.		      - Unknown