[lug] xml for web pages

rm at fabula.de rm at fabula.de
Sat Oct 19 11:41:00 MDT 2002

On Fri, Oct 18, 2002 at 01:50:32PM -0600, D. Stimits wrote:
> [...]
> It seems strange that there are so few dedicated stand-alone apps for
> this, designed for stdin/stdout. For java, I can understand all of the
> web server stuff, since java servlets/tomcat are so popular. I'll give
> this one a try with a Makefile.

Sorry if i jump in late but somehow most mail from the states came
in late recently. I'd suggest you have a look at Daniel Veillard's
excellent libxml/libxslt (www.xmlsoft.org) -- a pretty much feature-
complete library to parse/process/dump xml data as well as a library
implementing the XSLT standard (and it's one of the strictest libs
in following the w3c standards). It comes with two handy standalone
apps -- xmllint (a parser/validator) and xsltproc (a commandline
XSLT processor).
There are bindings for Perl, Python and some other langages (Kylix,
TCL, Guile ...).
I'm using it in a custom XML/XSLT apache module for realtime trans-
formation of XML content (if you're interessted i'll post the URL
once we switched to the new system officially so you can see the
processing speed ;-)

  Ralf Mattes