[lug] smtp, auth, mozilla, kmail

D. Stimits stimits at attbi.com
Sun Oct 20 15:16:18 MDT 2002

I'm trying to set up email for a remote account on a UNIX machine
(SunOS), and running into smtp auth problems. This machine "requires
authentication" (smtp, not port 113, though 113 is on and working). In
KMail I can go into setup for the smtp side, and set a flag/checkbox for
enabling authentication, and things work fine. Using Mozilla 1.0 through
1.2b, I am failing, I cannot find a setting for smtp side to "use
authentication" (at least not the type required). There seem to be all
kinds of encryption or authentication available depending on what the
context is, I need to find out exactly which "authentication" the
"requires authentication" of KMail refers to, and then dig into that
form under Mozilla. Can anyone tell me more exactly what form of
authentication KMail is referring to when the "server requires
authentication" is checked? This email works when the "security" part of
KMail setup is set for no encryption, and authentication as CRAM-MD5,
and I am starting to think that Mozilla does not support authentication.

Also, if anyone knows smtp well, is there a direct telnet session to
port 25 which I could manually enter smtp commands into, and request the
list of authentications available? Manually running a query via telnet
might give me more useful messages.

D. Stimits, stimits AT attbi.com