[lug] audio dies after applying latest redhat kernel

D. Stimits stimits at attbi.com
Mon Oct 21 15:34:28 MDT 2002

Hugh Brown wrote:

> The modules are precompiled for the architecture and I wasn't using
> alsa.  This is the first time in several upgrades that this has happened
> (I run a stock redhat kernel).

I think that if the order of binary interfaces to various modules
changes (the offset into the kernel loading system), it breaks any
module from that change point and further down the offset, regardless of
whether it is compiled for the same architecture. And of course header
changes that alter the interface will also do this. So if for example
something related to your sound was looking for offset 0x123456df, but
the interface was now at 0x123456ab, strange things could happen to that
module and anything looking at a longer offset. Keeping the architecture
doesn't help in all cases. Could be wrong though.

D. Stimits, stimits AT attbi.com