[lug] Redhat NFS installs: Substitute http?

Tkil tkil at scrye.com
Mon Oct 21 16:53:25 MDT 2002

DS> I'm trying to figure out how to describe on the machine being
DS> installed to how to find http-based ISO's.

My solution was to mount all the redhat ISOs over loopback (as several
people have described so far), then use symlinks to create a /RedHat
directory under /var/www/htdocs (or wherever apache's DocumentRoot is
pointed at).  I had to handle the "base" directory a bit specially,
and the RPMS directory is a real directory there with a gob of
symlinks into the multiple RPMS directories on the mounted ISO images,
but it worked.  I just used the "netboot" image, then told it to look
at the web server, directory / (it automatically appends the "RedHat",
apparently).

Not sure how kickstart interacts with all this.

Anyway, if you need more details, I can send them once I get home.

One caveat is that the graphical install tools only support local
(cdrom, hd) or nfs installs; ftp and http installs are text-only, at
least according to all the docs I've seen.

t.