[lug] CVSROOT and CVS/Root

Anders Knudsen anders at theknudsens.net
Mon Oct 21 22:37:45 MDT 2002

OK, CVS question.
I use my laptop for work work, and code is under CVS.
When at home (or traveling) I use SSH/CVS, so I set my envs to:

export CVS_RSH=ssh
export CVSROOT=:ext:anders at cvs:/home/cvsroot
#export CVSROOT=:pserver:anders at cvs:/home/cvsroot
export CVSREAD=yes

Naturally, I have an entry in my .ssh/config file to setup the Host
alias "cvs". And am using ssh-agent/ssh-add so I don't have to enter
passphrase more than once.

Notice, I also have a commented out pserver entry. So...when I'm in the
office, and I have the laptop connected to the network directly, SSH is
not necessary. We have a pserver running internally, so I'de rather use
it for CVSing. I quickly comment out the :ext: entry and the cvs_ssh,
and use the :pserver: env instead.
Problem I'm having is that my local sandbox/CVS/Root file has the :ext:
entry, which a "cvs edit" or any other cvs command picks first. My
workaround has been to edit these files manually in my sandbox, and
change the :ext: to :pserver: or visa-versa. This sucks. There has got
to be a better way. Is there a way to have both? Or switch between using
ssh access :ext:, and internal :pserver: access?
Please help mitigate my CVS ignorance on this, if there in fact is a
solution.

TIA,
-Anders.