[lug] mailman and logrotate?

Scott Herod herod at dimensional.com
Tue Oct 22 11:42:26 MDT 2002

Hello,

I was asked to help someone with a machine running 7.3 that was starting
to act up.  I discovered that logrotate was basically making a DNS
attack with the mailman log files.  It was rotating every file in the
/var/log/mailman directory so exponentially growing the number of empty
error files.  Is this a known problem?  I see nothing on google about it.

Also, my friend does not know why mailman should be running at all so I
checked their firewall and it looks okay.  However, xinetd is listening
to a strange port (in the 30000s) that varies everytime I restart
xinetd.  /etc/xinet.conf doesn't have anything that should listen to
that and it should be blocked by their firewall.  Any suggestions as to
where to look for where xinetd is getting another configuration?  (The
rpm for xinet appears clean.)

Finally, since I don't believe in coincidences, anyone heard of spammers
using wireless connections to trigger and send a mass mailing?

Thanks,

Scott