Friendly ISPs in the Boulder area WAS: Re: [lug] AT&T blocking http??

Nate Duehr nate at natetech.com
Tue Oct 22 14:54:22 MDT 2002

On Tue, 2002-10-22 at 12:40, Nick Golder wrote:
> This is a good time for me to post my question.  I might possibly be
> moving to the Boulder area and have been trying to find a DSL ISP that:
>
> 1) is "alternative OS" friendly... none of this proprietary PPPoE crap
> that requires "their" client software for authentication

PPPoE is fine if you use an external router.  It actually has two major
advantages over bridged connections...
1) It will recover better after line outages.
2) It can route multiple subnets if you ever add on more IP's later.

Check with Front Range Internet (www.frii.net) -- their website isn't
much to look at, but they're extremely alternative OS friendly, and they
do all the other stuff you asked for.

The real issue will be whether or not you move to an area where Qwest
has DSL service, or someone like Speakeasy has their own DSLAM's in the
CO.  Colorado, even in "techie" areas has spotty broadband coverage.  If
you do move to an area where Qwest has service, I heartily recommend
using another ISP that's smaller for better service.

Nate