[lug] NO Attachments!!!

David Morris lists at morris-clan.net
Thu Oct 24 12:01:16 MDT 2002

On Thu, Oct 24, 2002 at 12:19:57PM -0600, John Hernandez wrote:

> Shouldn't MUA's be configurable to ask about or skip downloading
> messages over a certain size threshold?  Mozilla has this option.  Is
> this a common feature in other MUA software?  How about the ability to
> skip over a lengthy download in progress and move on to the next
> message?  I'm guessing this an area where IMAP is better than POP3.

Yes, most all mail download software agents can  be set to
not download messages over a certain size....the problem
there, is you then have this huge message in your mailbox
that you might not necissarily have a means to remove
without contacting an administrator (I have had this problem
on a few email systems I used, where the message was so big,
I could not download it, and that was the only means i had
of removing the message).

In general, it attachments over 500k (or 100k for
distributiotn lists) should be avoided...if one is
necessary, give a link to a web/ftp location where the
attachment can be found.

--David