[lug] NO Attachments!!!

J. Wayde Allen wallen at lug.boulder.co.us
Thu Oct 24 13:05:27 MDT 2002

On Thu, 24 Oct 2002, John Hernandez wrote:

> Shouldn't MUA's be configurable to ask about or skip downloading
> messages over a certain size threshold?

Maybe ...

This particular case was my fault.  I was cleaning out the posts trapped
by Mailman and approved this one without checking it out completely.  The
mailing list has been getting quite a lot of junk mail and I find myself
sifting through the trash to be sure we aren't missing legitimate posts
more than I'd like.  I saw this one and didn't notice the attachments
until after I'd already approved it.  My apologies.

> Mozilla has this option.  Is this a common feature in other MUA
> software?

I don't think so.

> How about the ability to skip over a lengthy download in progress and
> move on to the next message?

No, I don't think this is the general case.

> I'm guessing this an area where IMAP is better than POP3.

Yes, that is my understanding.  I believe that IMAP allows you to skip
files for download.  I don't believe that POP3 does, but it has been some
time since I checked.

> If I decided to type a novel here, Ernie would suffer the same fate,
> sans attachment.

No, only if I let it through the mailing list.  The list limits the size
of posts that it will pass without moderator approval.

- Wayde
  (wallen at lug.boulder.co.us)