[lug] Motherboard recommendations?

Rob Riggs rob at pangalactic.org
Fri Oct 25 15:55:58 MDT 2002

Chip Atkinson wrote:

>It sounds like it would be total overkill to get an "official" server type
>mb, then.  I was wondering about that too.

For just a system that you are building yourself, most definitely. I
would recommend a complete server system if you need the reliability.
We've used Dell rackmount servers and their failure rate was
astoundingly low. The case, motherboard and power supply are all
proprietary, but if you need 100% uptime, a couple of Dells in a
load-balanced, failover configuration can't be beat.

But if you get paid double rate to go in during the middle of the night
to diagnose & fix a hardware fault, and don't mind the hours, a
home-built solution is fine. ;-)

-Rob (Whose come to appreciate why expensive gear is expensive.)