Friendly ISPs in the Boulder area WAS: Re: [lug] AT&T blocking http??

rise rise at knavery.net
Sat Oct 26 00:05:25 MDT 2002

On 22 Oct 2002, Nick Golder wrote:

> This is a good time for me to post my question.  I might possibly be
> moving to the Boulder area and have been trying to find a DSL ISP that:
>
> 1) is "alternative OS" friendly... none of this proprietary PPPoE crap
> that requires "their" client software for authentication
>
> 2) is friendly to those that want to run their own servers off of the
> bandwidth that they are forking the bucks out for
>
> 3) offers an IP block [or netblock] of around 8 static IPs

I'm currently quite happy with TransEdge (http://www.transedge.com),
the retail arm of New Edge Networks.  They're a bit pricier than going
through one of the resellers (FRII for instance does Qwest and NewEdge
DSL both) but you don't have transfer limits, you get a real SLA
(availability & quality of service) with significant refunds for any
outage, your trouble tickets are opened directly with the CLEC
(NewEdge) AFAICT, and they're very server friendly.  In fact their
attitude is basically "you can't sell TransEdge-branded service
without a reseller agreement", but my sales rep told me they could
care less about servers or reselling the bandwidth - you just aren't
allowed to use their trademark or share your customer support, news,
and email logins.  They'll also execute a reseller agreement with
individuals and small businesses (I've got one but haven't submitted
it yet).  They're happy to do static netblocks (I've got a /29 with 5
IPs usable) and they'll sell you more with an ARIN justification form,
they're sane about backup DNS/MX, and the sales guy I talked to uses
the service himself and seemed pretty knowledgeable.  Oh yeah, and they
beat the projected install date by several weeks.

When Qwest wouldn't install the line because they were convince I
couldn't qualify for DSL TransEdge put the order in as IDSL (offering
me a discount if it turned out I couldn't get SDSL) and then tested
the line and upgraded right back up to SDSL.  Helps to be the CLEC I
guess, but they were willing to try when most companies were excepting
what Qwest told them.

Now if only they were cheap too, but TANSTAAFL...

ObConflict-of-Interest:
If I get around to executing the reseller agreement AND you signed up
AND you listed me as a referrer I'd get money.  Whoop-te-doo.  I'm
just glad to have a stable, low latency connection and some static
IPs.

Jonathan Conway						      rise at knavery.net
Eff the ineffable, scru the inscrutable.		      - Unknown