[lug] Tape Drives

Ed Hill ed at eh3.com
Mon Oct 28 13:26:30 MST 2002

On Mon, 2002-10-28 at 13:07, Sexton, George wrote:
> Read the paper. You can't check a backup without doing a file compare.

Correct.

And theres no reason you can't accomplish the same with tar.  If you're
sufficiently paranoid, you can easily do a round-trip archive--
extract--compare session with standard GNU tools and (optionally) a bit
of shell code.  Its quite easy.

So George, do you or a family member work for the Tolis Group?  ;-)

Mind you, I have nothing against commercial apps (use plenty of them on
Linux: MatLAB, LabVIEW, etc.) but on LUG lists I generally point out the
Free alternatives first.  Especially in cases such as tar, which in my
experience is one of _the_ most reliable (and cross-platform!) GNU apps
that I've ever used.

Ed

ps - If you can't accomplish the same with the GNU apps, I suggest
     *you* read up a bit starting with "info tar" and "info md5sum".

--
Edward H. Hill III, PhD
Post-Doctoral Researcher   |  Email:  ed at eh3.com,  ehill at mines.edu
Division of ESE            |  URLs:   http://www.eh3.com
Colorado School of Mines   |    http://cesep.mines.edu/people/edhill.php
Golden, CO  80401          |  Phones:  303-384-2094, 303-273-3483