[lug] tar and symlinks

j davis davis_compz at hotmail.com
Mon Oct 28 21:56:33 MST 2002

Hello,
  So I did a backup to tape using the tar command. To test, I restored
the /etc dir i backed up from tape to my home dir. I then did a diff
and recived the output below. All the file are symlinks...so if i do
a restore do i have to manually remake the symlinks?

Only in /etc: .pwd.lock
Only in /etc/X11: X
Only in /etc/X11/xdm: authdir
Only in /etc/X11: xkb
Only in /etc: aboot.conf
Only in /etc/httpd/conf: Makefile
Only in /etc/httpd: logs
Only in /etc/httpd: modules
Binary files www_etc/mail/statistics and /etc/mail/statistics differ
Only in /etc: rmt
Only in /etc/sgml: sgml-docbook.cat
Only in /etc/sysconfig/network-scripts: ifdown
Only in /etc/sysconfig/network-scripts: ifup
Only in /etc: vfontcap

thanks,
jd

jd at taproot.bz           |  "MORE INPUT!"  |