[lug] Auto logout

rm at fabula.de rm at fabula.de
Wed Oct 30 07:34:19 MST 2002

On Tue, Oct 29, 2002 at 09:10:03PM -0700, Dan Cox wrote:
> Does anybody know of a way to auto logout inactive users running a gui
> like kde. I have looked around on other lists and all I can find are
> references to a TMOUT variable. However this only works if the user
> doesn't actually have a program running. I'm looking for something that
> will logout a user if they are using kde or gnome and decide to leave
> for the day. I'm running Mandrake 9.0 if that matters. Thanks for any
> help.

Well, two questions:

 - How do you define 'logout'? Shutting down his X-Session (which
   basically kills a X-using programs the user currently has running
   on the display)?

 - How do you define 'inactive' ? Not typing anything? Not pushing
   the mouse? I sometimes spend an hour looking at code--i'd hate
   if suddenly a little window poped up saying "you didn't do any-
   thing usefull the last 30 minutes. Auto-Logout will hit in 10 secs. "

    :-)

      Ralf Mattes