[lug] C(++) library to detect file type (a la 'file')

rm at fabula.de rm at fabula.de
Fri Nov 1 06:06:20 MST 2002

On Thu, Oct 31, 2002 at 12:40:10PM -0700, John Hernandez wrote:

> rm at fabula.de wrote:
>
> | Well, yes, i could write a library clone (probably using the libgnome
> | variant which seems to be "good enough" and doesn't have such long
> | legalese attached to it-boy it's so nice to just see GPL :-)
> | But i'd hate to reinvent the wheel (read: i have ton's of other code
> | to write ...).
>

> There seems to be an old, perhaps abandoned, effort started by Eric
> Raymond.  It's here at http://www.tuxedo.org/~esr/magic-numbers/
> Maybe you can e-mail this group or Eric about it.

Looks like the problem is an old one but there's no real solution.
It's a pitty that the gnome version is in libgnome (but that's kind
of typical for gnome: pretty bad layering of APIs) which has too many
dependencies. For me it seems like i have to push my customer to
sponsor a bit of library developement ;-)

Thanks for that link, somehow is missed it.

  Ralf