[lug] redhat8 and Apache

j davis davis_compz at hotmail.com
Tue Nov 5 12:28:30 MST 2002

Hello,
  So do to not having anything in the house other than rh8, i unfortaintly
have it running on a web-server box. First the media cheker said all my
disk were great...then bombed just at the end of install on disk 2 :(
Anyway, everything is up and running ok....they moved a little bit of
crap here and there....not really a big deal. However, i am
dong name based hosting with this box and apache wines with this when
i start httpd....

Starting httpd: [Tue Nov 05 12:16:21 2002] [error] VirtualHost _default_:443
-- mixing * ports and non-* ports with a NameVirtualHost address is not
supported, proceeding with undefined results

Ok, no where in my httpd config will you find any of these...

_default_
the combo of letters forming "ssl"
or any mention of port 443.
I dont want to use ssl, and furthermore its my understanding that
only one site can use ssl with name based hosting....so ilooked on google
and found this mail thread...

as far as Apache goes I'd simply remove it and install apache 1.3.26
back. Apache 2 is the recomended version acording to the apache site but
many of the mods aren't avalable or just don't work well with it yet.

On Thu, Oct 03, 2002 at 01:42:06AM -0700, Daevid Vincent wrote:
>Well, I have to say the upgrade from RH7.3 to 8.0 is less than ideal.
>
>The GUI and all that goes nice and smooth and everything _looks_ great
>until you start to use your system.
>
>First thing I noticed is that it's Apache 2.0, so all my httpd.conf
>stuff is broken and needs to be migrated (i.e. httpd didn't start). I
>finally got Apache to start, but ALL of my virtual domains don't work
>and I get this error which I don't know how to fix:
>
>Starting httpd: [Thu Oct 03 01:19:27 2002] [error] VirtualHost
>_default_:443 -- mixing * ports and non-* ports with a NameVirtualHost
>address is not supported, proceeding with undefined results
>[  OK  ]as far as Apache goes I'd simply remove it and install apache
>1.3.26
back. Apache 2 is the recomended version acording to the apache site but
many of the mods aren't avalable or just don't work well with it yet.

if i keep this p.o.s.o.s .....and im not, but just to know....should i do
as this guy reccomends and install apache 1.3.26.

thanks,
jd