[lug] Samba 2.2.3a-6 on Redhat 7.3

j davis davis_compz at hotmail.com
Tue Nov 5 12:43:54 MST 2002

>On Tue, 2002-10-29 at 22:15, Dale R. Hill wrote:
> > I am trying to set up Samba so that I can share files with my Win2000
> > workstation. I installed the samba 2.2.3a-6 from my 7.3 distro. When I
> > execute: rpm -qa | grep samba I see: samba-common-2.2.3a-6 and
> > samba-client-2.2.3a-6
>
>There is an additional package that needs to be installed if you want to
>run a samba server (i.e. have windows see the linux box) using the
>redhat rpms.
>
>samba-<version number>   server code
>samba-client-<version number> client code
>samba-common-<version number> code that is common to both of the above
>packages.
>
>Install the samba-2.2.3a-6 rpm from your cd and samba-swat-2.2.3a-6 rpm
>as well to go for the easy config.

/etc/smb.conf works out the gate....and then theres the brain-buster
smbpasswd -a billybob....thats a tuff one...actually you do need to
edit the workgroup name in smb.conf.IMHO swat takes more time to get
turned on and working that to make very few edits to a wonderfully
commented and documented conf file. *IMHO*

thanks,
jd

jd at taproot.bz
http://www.taproot.bz

"Who you trying to get crazy with essay?
          Don't you know I'm loco?"

-Cypress Hill