[lug] Samba 2.2.3a-6 on Redhat 7.3

Stephen Queen svq at peakpeak.com
Wed Nov 6 06:18:47 MST 2002

Michael J. Hammel wrote:

>Thus spoke j davis
>

>>/etc/smb.conf works out the gate....and then theres the brain-buster
>>smbpasswd -a billybob....thats a tuff one...actually you do need to
>>edit the workgroup name in smb.conf.IMHO swat takes more time to get
>>turned on and working that to make very few edits to a wonderfully
>>commented and documented conf file. *IMHO*
>>

>You know, everyone keeps telling me how easy this is, but I still can't get my
>XP box to connect to my Linux box.  I'm pretty sure it's a user authentication
>issue, but I don't know what user to add to Samba so my wife's XP box can
>connect to my Linux box.  I've run most of the tests listed in
>http://hr.uoregon.edu/davidrl/DIAGNOSIS.txt and the ones that are causing
>problems are the ones from the XP (re: client) side.
>
>Note:
>1. I can ping from the Linux server from the XP client.
>2. The XP client is already accessing the Internet (via IE) by using the Linux
>   box as a gateway.
>
>In other words, the TCP/IP stuff is working in general.  The problem is an
>authentication issue.
>
>Some questions:
>1. I want to make the Samba stuff password free if possible, with any user on
>   the local network granted access to shared resources on my Linux box.  What
>   do I need to do to make this happen?  Would posting my smb.conf make that
>   easier to determine?  I hesitate to post files in discussion groups without
>   asking first.
>
>2. The local network is behind a firewall.  I allow no incoming connections.  I
>   allow some local internal connections, such as NFS.  Do I need to add an
>   ipchains entry for Samba?  If so, what would such an entry look like?
>
>I added a user "nobody" to Samba via smbpasswd:
>   smbpasswd -a nobody
>and just hit ENTER for the password.  Is this considered a null password?

The user name and password must be the same on the XP box and on the
Linux box. 2 very good resources for setting up Samba are the .pdf file
found at http://us2.samba.org/samba/ftp/docs/Samba24Hc13.pdf
and an HTML copy of an Oreilly book found at
http://k12linux.mesd.k12.or.us/using_samba/.

I think you can effectively make your samba shares password free, though
I don't understand why you would want to by adding guest ok = yes to
each share in the smb.conf file. I've never tried this so if it don't
work, you should be able to find your answers in the links I gave you.

Steve