[lug] Samba 2.2.3a-6 on Redhat 7.3

Michael J. Hammel mjhammel at graphics-muse.org
Wed Nov 6 09:41:58 MST 2002

On Wed, 2002-11-06 at 09:53, Rob Nagler wrote:
> * Make sure you don't have the XP firewall blocking Samba.

Not sure how to check that.

> * Make sure the Linux box doesn't have a firewall blocking Samba.

That I can check, once I find out what port Samba is one (or smb, I
guess).  If my problem isn't a user configuration/password issue then
I'm betting it's a firewall issue.  I need to turn in logging for the
firewall again - of course I've forgotten how to do that too.  *sigh*
(But I'll figure it out - that's Linux, not XP.)

> * Make sure two boxes can talk via ping, ssh ("PuTTY" on XP).

That does work.

> * Are all host names resolved.

That also works, on both ends.

> * Try Public shares (still need a guest account, I think on XP).

I have a public share set up and is, in fact, the one I'm trying to
access.  This is the config for it:

[public]
   comment = MP3 Files
   path = /usr2/mp3
   public = yes
   writable = yes
   printable = no

I added
   guest ok = yes

today, but that didn't work either.  I'm still getting "this account is
not authorized to access that resource" on the XP box when I try
\\<ipaddr> in Start->Run.

> Probably more.  It's a pain, but once it works, it's great.  My
> customers who have Linux Samba shares have *never* had a problem with
> the Linux side. :-)

It'll be nice once I get it working.  I'd like to be able to do backups
from the XP box using Samba to a big disk drive on a Linux server as
well as serve up the MP3's to my wife (my daughter's Win95 box croaked
and she is now happily using Linux instead).

--
Michael J. Hammel                               The Graphics Muse
mjhammel at graphics-muse.org
http://www.graphics-muse.com