[lug] Samba 2.2.3a-6 on Redhat 7.3

Dan Julio djulio99 at yahoo.com
Wed Nov 6 09:49:59 MST 2002

Michael,

Let me preface this by saying that I'm no expert and
my goals weren't the same as yours (e.g. I just needed
to allow one user - me) ... but I just got samba
working for some XP and OS X clients on my home
network (2.2.3a-6 on a Redhat 7.3 machine).

I used the web-based configurator (SWAT) to edit my
smb.conf.  I found the following fields to be
important:

- Global Variables/hosts allow : I had to correctly
specify my local network (e.g. 10.0.1.0/255.255.255.0)

- Shares : I had to add shares for each filesystem I
wanted to export.  I have two exported filesystems.
The fields that were important where "path", "valid
users", "read only" and "browseable".  I listed myself
as a valid user, set read only to no and browseable to
yes.

- Passwords : I don't know if this step was necessary
but I added my user account to both "Server Password
Management" and "Client/Server Password Management".

After I did all of this I still couldn't mount
filesystems from either XP or OS X although TCP/IP was
obviously working and the client machines could see
the server.  What did it for me, believe it or not,
was making sure that the client machines were listed
in the my server's /etc/hosts file.

If you want I could email you my smb.conf file for
comparison purposes.

Good luck, Dan

--- "Michael J. Hammel" <mjhammel at graphics-muse.org>