[lug] Linux Wireless

Ed Hill ed at eh3.com
Sun Nov 10 15:58:52 MST 2002

On Sun, 2002-11-10 at 15:30, neelsmith74 at netscape.net wrote:
> Hi All,
> I need a good suggestion for a Linux (RH8) capable wireless AP (intergrated to wired LAN) and PCMCIA card.
> There are a ton of specials on Dlink (650WL) packages, but never here of anyone using it.  I always here Lucent Orinoco Gold cards, but this is usually to make a Linux box the AP.  I do not feel like doing this, but just buying an AP and card.

Hi Nate,

A lot of folks I know are using or have used PrismII-based cards such as
those listed on:

  http://www.linux-wlan.com/linux-wlan/
  http://pcmcia-cs.sourceforge.net/ftp/SUPPORTED.CARDS  (see PrismII)

The benefits are that they're *CHEAP*, fairly well supported on Linux
(passable with the "wavelan_cs" driver, good with "orinoco_cs", and best
with the linux-wlan drivers), will work with few or no tweaks on stock
KRUD/RH/Mandrake installs, and work well with most access points.  The
thing to watch out for is that some manufacturers will switch the
chipset that they're using without changing the model name.  So be
careful.

And I've heard good reports about the cheap DLink and Linksys APs.

hth,
Ed

--
Edward H. Hill III, PhD
Post-Doctoral Researcher   |  Email:  ed at eh3.com,  ehill at mines.edu
Division of ESE            |  URLs:   http://www.eh3.com
Colorado School of Mines   |    http://cesep.mines.edu/people/edhill.php
Golden, CO  80401          |  Phones:  303-384-2094, 303-273-3483