[lug] gedit vs. ...

rm at fabula.de rm at fabula.de
Sat Nov 16 13:31:49 MST 2002

On Sat, Nov 16, 2002 at 12:21:06PM -0700, Tom Tromey wrote:

> jd> Emacs and VI do color code, but what i really want is for a loop
> jd> with no closing } to dis-color until I put the } in...
>
> I don't think Emacs can do that.  I don't look at other editors any
> more, so I don't know if any can do what you want.  With Emacs,
> though, I generally recognize simple syntax errors of this sort
> because the next line doesn't indent correctly.

Well, he could use 'paren-activate' in Xemacs which will do the inverse
of what he wants -- highlight the whole block as soon as the cursor is
over on of the parens/braces etc. It'll also mark nonmatching parens
(like $blub{ ] ) in shrieking colors. I'm pretty shure there's a emacs
version off this -- if you want i can ask my pure-emacs using office
mate.

(X)Emac's cperl mode has a lot of these checks as well as auto-
typing of typical perl constructs (so whenever you type 'for' and
a space it'll insert the rest of the loop syntax and place the cursor
inbetween the parens after the 'for' word). This seems cool at first
sight but for me after a while it got into the way more often then
i wanted.

 hth ralfd