[lug] "New" wireless internet? pathbroadband and rock creek

Ed Hill ed at eh3.com
Sat Nov 16 19:27:00 MST 2002

On Sat, 2002-11-16 at 14:14, Phil Rasch wrote:

> The installation went smoothly. The technology is quite unlike that
> used by sprint. They put a small box (about 1" by 3" by 10") attached
> to a rod secured to my roof.  The box contains a radio, and enough of
> a chip to run a http server. The box is manufactured by Motorola.

Hi Phil,

Are they using Motorola's new Canopy system?  If so, I visited another
Canopy site being setup by an ISP in the Tucson area a month ago and was
*very* impressed.  Canopy uses TDMA technology and for distances of <2mi
it is capable of 6Mbs @ 20ms latency.  With a directional antenna, it
will easily reach 10mi at similar data rates.  Very cool!

Ed

--
Edward H. Hill III, PhD
Post-Doctoral Researcher   |  Email:  ed at eh3.com,  ehill at mines.edu
Division of ESE            |  URLs:   http://www.eh3.com
Colorado School of Mines   |    http://cesep.mines.edu/people/edhill.php
Golden, CO  80401          |  Phones:  303-384-2094, 303-273-3483